office: (858) 444-2300 | fax: (858) 444-2345
Practice Areas: Employee Benefits, Employee Stock Ownership Plans, Pension and Profit Sharing Plans, ERISA, ERISA Litigation, Business Law, Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDROs), Tax Law
Marc Schechter specializes in the areas of employee benefits, ERISA, and business matters. In addition to handling a wide range of business transactional matters, he has extensive experience designing, drafting and implementing all types of qualified and nonqualified employee benefit programs for his clients, with special emphasis on ESOP transactions.
Mr. Schechter earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1980 from Rowan University. He received a juris doctor degree, magna cum laude, from California Western School of Law in 1984 and graduated second in his class. Mr. Schechter received the Scriba Regis Award for authoring the best Law Review article; the Miller Tax Award for earning the highest grade point average in tax courses; and the Highest Academic Achievement Award in the subjects of federal income tax and estate and gift tax. He was active with the Law Review as a staff writer from 1982-83 and as Head Notes and Comments Editor from 1983-84.
Mr. Schechter lectures on employee benefit law topics for a wide range of organizations. He has written articles on Employee Benefit topics for a wide range of periodicals. He has also taught the ERISA/Employee Benefits course as adjunct professor at California Western School of Law.
Mr. Schechter has received an AV® Peer Review rating from the Martindale Hubbell International Law Directory.
Mr. Schechter has been named by San Diego Super Lawyers magazine as one of the top attorneys in San Diego for 2008, 2009, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Only five percent of the lawyers in San Diego are named by Super Lawyers.
- Rowan University (B.A., 1980)
- California Western School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 1984)
- Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Mediating the Litigated Case, 2018
Bar and Court Admissions
- 1984, California
- 1984, U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- 1984, U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- 1985, New Jersey
- 1985, U.S. Tax Court
- 1996, U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- 2000, U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- 2001, U.S. Supreme Court
- State Bar of California (Employee Benefits-Taxation Section)
- San Diego County Bar Association (Taxation Section)
- San Diego Chapter of the Western Pension and Benefits Council
- ESOP Association of America (former member of the Legislative and Regulatory Advisory Committee)
- The National Center for Employee Ownership
- Micha v. Sun Life Assur. of Can. Inc., 874 F. 3d 1052 [published opinion]
- Wayne v. Pacific Bell, 189 F.3d 982, opinion amended and superseded, 238 F.3d 1048 (9th Cir. 2000), cert. denied, 122 S.Ct. 40 (2001); Courtney v. American Airlines, Inc., 40 F.Supp.2d 389 (N.D. Tex 1999); Meoli v. American Medical Services of San Diego, 35 F.Supp.2d 761 (S.D. Cal. 1999).
Beyond the Office
Attorney of the Month Marc Schechter. Doing What He Loves . . . But Still Playing The Blues.
San Diego Attorney Journal, Cover Feature, April 2014
"Rock On" by Marc S. Schechter [PDF]
This story appeared in the July/August 2013 issue of San Diego Lawyer. It is posted with the permission of the San Diego County Bar Association.
- Lawyer Joke
[Click here for Marc's curriculum vitae.]